discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Friday 5 February 2016

In my kitchen ~ February 2016

It's that time of the month again where we hook up with the lovely Maureen from the orgasmic chef for the In my kitchen series for all kitchen foodie mad devotees from all over the world (and of course newbies are more than welcome) to show off what's been happening in the hub of so many of our homes - the woman cave called the kitchen! 
I'm excited this month as we have added some things that I've been waiting years for....settle in with a cuppa or a vino and take a peak :)


The first new thing in my kitchen is this electric kettle that is making my morning coffees a dream....my last kettle was a "whisper quiet" and let me tell you there was nothing bloody quiet about it!!! So this is a pleasure.
Now, let me introduce to you, in my kitchen is my new love, my life changing appliance....a dishwasher....I always knew we'd fall in love and I'm totally smitten with my clear and clean double sink ;) and my nail polish is lasting so much longer! 

The last addition of kitchen gadgetry is my new food processor - I have always had a small one which is no good for making pastry or anything big like a cake batter so this beauty has been getting a work out. 
In my kitchen has been so much basil I've been whizzing up this fabulous basil with extra virgin olive oil that is just perfect on roasted meats, added to a frittata or dolloped onto toast with squashed tomatoes for breakfast.

I lied, here is one more little gadget a julienne peeler I picked up for a song in New Zealand but man it is sharp! But, great and speedy way to change up some summer salads. 
In my kitchen has been loads of beetroots for pickling.
Now this is a very special addition to my kitchen this month and it's my great, great grandmothers flour canister.  I've been eye balling this for years at mama's and she had it all set out for me a few weeks back and I had to hold back the tears....I'm such a sentimental....but it holds 3kgs of flour and is a dream to get a cup scoop easily into.
In my kitchen finally on stream are tomatoes - it's another late season this year but just in time as I cracked my last jar of passatta from last year - you just can't beat home grown can you!
and lastly in my kitchen are so many peaches I'm going to look like one soon! I made a yummy peach & coconut chia pudding for breakfasts this week, but you just can't beat eating one over the sink and juice spilling down your arms and face...now that's summer :)

Thanks for stopping by....ciao, Jan x

30 comments :

  1. Your great-grandmother's flour canister looks so new and perfect. What a great heirloom to have in your kitchen!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a huge difference a few new appliances will make to your workspace.
    Is the new kettle really quiet? My daughter hasva so called "quiet" one and the darn thing wakes up half the house !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as quiet as I'd hoped but not as noisy as the whisper quiet ;) Thanks for stopping by Mae x

      Delete
  3. Pickled beets...divine. Summer is definitely peaches and tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen is full of summer - beets, tomatoes, pesto, peaches. I bet you're loving your dishwasher - I throw everything into mine now I don't care about 'best' stuff. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving my dishwasher no end Nancy!!! Nothing like some white goods to get a woman all hot and bothered!!! :)x

      Delete
  5. I am so jealous of all the fresh summer produce! Peaches, basil, tomatoes...all my favorites. I'm sure you are loving the new dishwasher, they make life so much easier! How wonderful you were able to get your grandmother's canister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've realized that I've commented a few times on your posts from my iPad however because the email is not set up there when I've hit enter it hasn't posted. So I'm on my computer and commenting...so glad you got some more money off on your bills by making one phone call. I think you just have to make this an annual thing with each service provider. As I've mentioned my issue is as a long time customer they don't worry about you but offer new customers (to get them in) better rates and deals. It is not like the old days were you are loyal but it's about getting the best deal for your family on every bill in every year. I've been with Optus mobile for about 20 years but apparently my nephew (he's into techy stuff and knows the latest deals etc and changes phones and phone plans all the time) and he and my sister are on Vaya (not sure of the spelling) for their mobile phone..no contracts you just have your own phone and for $18 month and way more than I'm getting with my current Optus plan in March I'm thinking of changing over. The only issue for me is I would like a new phone but I don't want to pay $700 for a phone so I'll have to weigh things up. All I know is don't sit still and pay your bills when they come around to be paid....like I mentioned I got $10 a month credit for a year off because I rang....better in our pocket than theirs. Now back to your kitchen photos how lovely it is to have an heirloom to use in your kitchen....very special indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your thoughts on the bills -I'm with you all the way Kathy!!! :)x

      Delete
  7. I love that kettle. It's been a long time I wanted to have one. Well, I have the electric one, but I love that kind, too. :D Thanks for sharing us your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, colorful foods! It's a nice change from what I see out my window right now: white, white and more white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha I take it you are surrounded by snow :) stay warm

      Delete
  9. Feeling your love for the flour canister since I have my grandmother's sugar canister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a terrible sentimentalist Lana!! I bet your nan's sugar canister is beautiful

      Delete
  10. Ooh I need that julienne peeler!! I love making green papaya salad but hate grating the papaya. May I ask the brand lovely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great one Lorraine - it's from the little asian chain store Daiso and was only a few $$$$

      Delete
  11. Enjoy the dishwasher! I love your electric kettle - it looks so elegant :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your kitchen looks great with the new addition of appliances. The dishwasher is great, isn't it? It makes things easier! Your grandmother's flour canister looks so lovely. And I love all those fresh summer produce!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yes a dishwasher is essential in the kitchen. love the kettle and all your pretty produce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it just Sherry!!! I am totally smitten with my dishwasher - and thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  14. Realy your kitchen full of taste.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving the sound of your peach and coconut chia pudding Jan, do you have a recipe please? I'd love to give it a try :)Love my julienne peeler and you're right, it is very sharp - I wrote about mine last month almost taking the top of my fingernail off! Lovely goodies for #IMK this month - enjoy your new appliances x http://missfoodfairy.com/2016/02/09/in-my-kitchen-february-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just puree some fresh peaches, about 4 and mix it with 1 tin of coconut milk and 1/3 cup of chia seeds. Divide into 4 portions and sit in the fridge overnight. I microwave it for 30 seconds as I don't like it fridge cold but I have friends who love it straight from the fridge. Thanks for the peeler inspiration Nicole!!!! Jan x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...