discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Tuesday 17 December 2013

Sweet as Hell Chocolate Brownie

Most of my friends are foodies, devotees of all good things eaten and washed down with a precious drop.  I also pride myself on remembering things they love to eat and what they don't.  My dear friend Michelle is a desperate chocoholic.  Well actually now I come to think of it, she is partial to anything of the sugared variety and she is just as sweet as her sweet tooth.  She very rarely drinks alcohol, its a wonder we are friends really :)  but when she does she orders the sweetest sugar rush going.  Kahlua & milk, Midori & lemonade oh and if you ordered her a slippery nipple it would have to be poured over ice-cream.  I watch in awe, twitching ever so slightly anticipating the sugar rush about to unfold.  

We have been firm friends for almost 20 years, bonded over high school misadventures of our husbands but also a love of talking and gluttony.  When the 2 couples meet, it is on.  Who can out do who in the cooking stakes.  Her hubby and I had a tzatziki off a while back, and I was devastated to crown him victor.  Which reminds me, we need a new challenge.  I need to win.

It is with so much delight that I've busted a gut to make the wickedest chocolate brownie I could think of for our annual Christmas shindig so here goes.  

Sweet as Hell Chocolate Brownie
2 cups SR flour
2 cups of sugar ~ I used 1/2 cup of caster sugar, 1/2 cup dark muscovado sugar and 1 cup of rapadura sugar
1 shot of espresso coffee, approx 30 mls
250g melted butter
2 whole eggs, beaten
125g dark chocolate, 85% cocoa
3/4 cup raw cacao powder
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
  1. Preheat oven to 180c.
  2. Line a slice tin with baking paper.
  3. In a large bowl, sift in flour, sugar and cacao powder and a pinch of sea salt, chopped chocolate, and walnuts.
  4. Stir in the melted butter, coffee and beaten eggs until all combined.
  5. Spread evenly in the tray.  Don't under estimate the value of a spatula.  It will get every last lick of chocolate into that baking tray.
  6. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or a little more.  Cool in tray on a wire rack and then pop into the fridge to cool way down before slicing. 



This is gorgeous as a hot dessert served with french vanilla bean ice cream. It was worthwhile adding the different sugars too for the added depth of flavour they gave the brownie.  I think I did Michelle proud, but I'm now calling my muffin top a brownie top.  The things we do for good friends!

     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In decluttering news :) I DID the PLASTICS cupboard.... :D

Ciao, Jan







6 comments :

  1. It's always so nice and thoughtful when people remember what you like and your preferences! It makes you feel very special :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that I was a waitress in a former life Lorraine, memory for preferences over names sometimes!!

      Delete
  2. It's always therefore nice and thoughtful once people keep in mind what you prefer and your preferences! It makes you to feel very special.

    Posted by Charles Arthur | Wholesale Sweets

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so amazing! I`m so hungry right now!!!

    Congratulations, I'm nominating your blog for a Liebster Award! Check out my blog http://makeeasycake.blogspot.ro/ for more details :)
    Hugs, Cris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Cris!!! Will go and check this whole Liebster Award is all about :D Jan x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...