discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Little changes to life

This is very much not unlike the list you might write at the beginning of the year, but I thought it might be nice to actually write down what I've changed over this past 7 months of slipping into this simple life.  
I didn't start out with my blog to head in this direction, but that's the thing about life, you never know where you may end up.  Trying to live more mindfully and simply is both a challenge but so rewarding, I have to remind myself I'm doing the best I can.  It can be harder to do when you are pushed for time and energy as it isn't always the easy route.  
I'm still trying to CTFD but if I'm honest, I'm a control freak, but I still quietly repeat this mantra!  Letting go is difficult but I'm finding more genuine happiness with what we are doing as a family and with the dear people I am surrounding myself with.
  1. Make my own bread from scratch and have unearthed a new love and hobby, dangerous for the waistline.
  2. Make all lunchbox goodies from scratch.
  3. Have my own 14 year old sour dough that I am loving experimenting with.
  4. Make my own chemical free household cleaner and air freshener.
  5. Make my own laundry powder.
  6. Cook almost all meals from scratch.
  7. Make my own pizza dough and tortilla dough.
  8. Have taught myself how to confidently bake cakes and muffins.
  9. Recycle and reuse as much as we can.
  10. Compost all vegetable trimmings.
  11. Grow as much as we can in our garden.
  12. Started a stockpile.
  13. Started a budget.

My goals for 2014
  1. Help make a chook house.
  2. Have our own chooks in said house.
  3. Get better at sour dough and find a simpler recipe.
  4. Make pasta from scratch.
  5. Change as much as we can afford to organic and/or Australian made.
  6. Actually save some money instead of relying on credit.
  7. Learn a new craft or skill.
  8. Challenge my baking skills ~ making a lemon meringue pie and macarons are high on my list!
  9. Read more books.
Do you make lists of your goals or do you just sail along on this life hoping for the best?


"If you cannot keep pace with your companions,
perhaps it is because you hear a different drummer.
Step to the music you hear however measured or far away."
Henry David Thoreau
Ciao, Jan.

6 comments :

  1. It's lovely when you take a moment to step back and breath and reflect on where you've come from until now even in such a short space of time. Whilst earning more money is only ever seen as the extra $$$ figure there is so much more that you are giving up...a peaceful and calm mother, home cooked means, time with little ones etc. and then of course maybe running two cars, work clothes, work farewell presents, lunches, christmas parties etc. Often the number $$ the dollar figure is the attractive bit and all the others are discounted and they probably cost our families more. Congratulations on all those things you've mentioned and if you add one new little thing at a time eventually you build up your skill set. I made soap last November for the first time and it was something that because of the chemicals I was scared of however I did it with a friend and when the kids were at school and it was fantastic. I've written about it on my blog if you need to refer to it. I bought the kit so it came with 90% of what you needed so I could have a go and it was so satisfying. You need two thermometers (one for each pot) as we were going from pot to pot which wasn't really the best trying to get the two liquids to measure the same temp. Anyway you should put that on your list it was so rewarding. I've got 2 soap bars left so will have to make another batch shortly....it was wonderful. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane
    www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you Kathy, I remember when you made it. I can so agree about the 'calm mother', it really is wonderful to not be doing that made juggle and being there at the start and the end of school, ready to talk, listen and just be present. I didn't have that as a child and feel very fortunate as I know alot of working mum's who battle with the $$$ and the guilt. We are all just doing our best xxx

      Delete
  2. Jan I really liked this post - I was really inspired by all the things you are doing to live your simple life, and I could really relate to the CTFD mantra and your experiences in the early days of motherhood. It's comforting to know you had the same experiences as me as a new mother. I agree with you that mindfulness is the key to simple living and lasting happiness - not always easy when you run out of time, energy and patience. But it gets easier the more you do it. Keep at it Jan, you are doing some wonderful simple things for yourself and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke :D Those early days of motherhood are hard aren't they! Nothing can really prepare it for you either. Jan x

      Delete
  3. I really want to ty making my own detergents and cleaners because I am allergic to so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the orange cleaner I make using orange peels steeped in vinegar for 3 weeks is awesome Lorraine! I use it for everything, as spray and wipe, air freshener, bathroom cleaner and even on my floors. I'm still tweeking a detergent as I had a terrible failure at my first try, but will get up the nerve again soon!! Jan x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...