discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Wednesday 12 March 2014

My perfect take away breakfast

We had to be in the city a few weeks ago.  A day trip filled with appointments and schedules to keep.  It was to be an early start so the night before I set to making my breakfast for the 3 hour road trip.  
I'm an organised traveller, and where I can I try at all costs to avoid having to eat crap fast food.
I've seen this idea all over the internet, it isn't a new idea by any stretch. My first attempt was with an overnight oat variety which i think was a wee bit too gluggy for me. Here is my lighter spin on a jar of breakfast.
I started with a good layer of natural organic yoghurt, a sprinkling of amaranth flakes and followed by an inch of stewed honey sweetened rhubarb.  Next was  a spoonful or 2 of my own mix of seeds and nut mix (goji berries, flaxseeds, chia seeds, chopped almonds, sultanas, and sunflower seeds), more yoghurt and topped off with some of my favourite walnuts chopped and a drizzle of honey. The next morning all I had to do was shower,  make a coffee, grab my breakfast from the fridge and go. 
On the way home, we were tired and hungry and wouldn't you know it we succumbed to the golden arches.  They are so sneaky being next to petrol stations aren't they.  I needed a sugar fix fast for the journey home and ordered a fillet of fish and a soy mocha.  I had this flash back to when I was really young and we  made this trip to the big smoke with my Dad once a year.  Where we lived only had Ollies Trollies, no Mickey D's and I use to internally pine for it.  My father would never venture near these places so I use to watch them go by the car window and I'd be gutted.  There was one time I remember actually getting up the courage to ask..."Dad, can we please get some Mc Donalds, please"....I couldn't believe it when he said yes and I got my very own packet of cookies and a cheeseburger.
Silly isn't it what we love as kids, now here I was eating my almost cold fillet of fish, the bun not a bit like bread and the fish, well I'm sure there was some of the fillet in the mix somewhere....it always leaves me feeling used and abused!  
So tell me, do you pack your food for road trips or do you fly by the seat of your pants and just grab whatever is on offer?  

Ciao, Jan.

9 comments :

  1. I was just thinking about this as I'm going to Melbourne early tomorrow morning! Will probaably toast a spelt hot cross bun (lovely ones at the IGA) and take some homemade bircher muesli (oats, sultanas and chia seeds soaked in coconut water overnight topped with yogurt, fruit and flaked almonds). I do like to stop halfway at Inverleigh and grab a good coffee from the organic store - The Red Door or from the milkbar (which does excellent coffee too). However, once I get to Melb it's a different story as it's my chance to meet friends and indulge in yummy lunches and dinner out! Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. That muesli sounds fabulous Loretta!! I love a coffee from Red Door, but they have changed the speed limit to 80kmph on Fox How Rd so we have been going the Birregurra/Mt.Moriac way ~ the fine foods store in Birre is great! I'm like you too, once let loose in Melby it's game on food wise!! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not into yoghurt myself even though my kids love it but your breakfast jar looks great and would save you $$ and time on the road as well. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! I am guilty of stopping to eat during road trips. I wish I wouldn't do this, because homemade food is always so much better than the fast food I end up having to eat while on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea of a breakfast in a jar Jan! It looks so yummy. I'd enjoy this way more than a museli bar which is what I would have if leaving the house early. Most times it's just a coffee (given though we have a coffee machine so it's a GOOD coffee!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! i think i might need to change my brekky up a bit... i've been having porridge for looong time :) i'm in the "packer" camp.... never leave home without some things packed for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful blog Jan. Just found you and I'm enjoying your recipes.
    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. this blog just gets better and better. Just found your rhubarb magic.
    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...