discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Break up with the supermarket ~ final week

 no finish line
So here I am, 4 weeks down and only one slip up.  I'm truly amazed I got through these weeks so easily and seemingly unscathed.  The sky hasn't fallen in nor have I once felt deprived or longing.  What I have learnt is that I am a sucker for a bargain and when surrounded by temptation, I can't say no. I was buying every multi-buy available at Woolies and wasting my money instead of saving like I thought I was.  

One interesting notification is how much this exercise has effected my 6 year old daughter.  She was yelling in the car last weekend when we went past Woolies, "Mum WHY can't we go in there, WHY!!" Like it was the bloody golden arches aka Mc Donalds.  Or when I was away during the challenge and she slyly told me that she had been to Woolies with Daddy, like it was a mistress or a forbidden treat.  That has been strange.

Whats the verdict for the future for me and the break up? I'm so over it, so not rushing back any time soon.  I'm threw with running with the pack. This has been a wonderful experience for me.  I've built new relationships with some local shop owners which has really warmed my heart and made me see that good old fashioned service and passion for good produce is really out there.  I also met some like minded people in my area and found some wonderful blogs along the way.  I think all over I saved a few hundred bucks, that's a win right there. 

I know I made a few of you think I was going all Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory on you especially with regard to the rewards programs, but I'm not.  What it has got me thinking about is choice and information.  Each to their own, and we all do what we are comfortable with at the end of the day.  I just learnt with some education on the topic, that it wasn't making me comfortable.

So what about you? Whats your verdict?

I've got a new challenge for the month of November if any of you are interested....watch this space......

Ciao, Jan

3 comments :

  1. Well done to you I have been talking about this for months we tally our Woolies expenditure every qtr and it drives me crazy. We have our own gardens and I shop online with weekly organic veg/fruit order delivered weekly. We live in the Snowy Mountains so options are limited however I am determined to break the cycle thanks for getting me enthused again. Great posts Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jo, your words just make me all the more sure I'm on the right track. Jan

      Delete
  2. Good on you for setting a goal and seeing it through. You sound like you've gained much from the experience and the 'sneaky' visits by others to the supermarket while you weren't looking made me chuckle. I agree. Coles and Woolies have etched their image into our psyche. Takes a strong and determined person to look the other way.Good stuff Jan.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...