discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Tuesday 12 November 2013

The simple joy of honey joys


I did some baking for a friend who's daughter is gluten & dairy free for a few weeks to work out some possible causes to a health issue.  I made these simple honey joys, substituting the butter for olive oil.  To be honest, the olive oil didn't hit the mark I was after but they worked and were fine, so if you want a gluten free/dairy free verstion I'd use copha as I had to pour some of the oil off once they had set.  Aldi have gluten free cornflakes and many other gluten free products as well as a growing range of organic products, I love Aldi!
All you need to do is this:
Preheat oven to 150c
measure out:
4 cups of cornflakes~I used gluten free ones but you can use normal of course
1/4 cup of caster sugar
3/4 cup butter or a substitute like copha or coconut oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp golden syrup
Line 12 capacity muffin tray with patty pans or use these ones like these pretty pink ones on a baking tray.
Heat all ingredients apart from the cornflakes in a saucepan until bubbly.  
Put the cornflakes into a large bowl, and pour over the honey goodness and stir until all coated.
Place mix into patty pans. Some suggest this mixture fills 24 patty pans but I beg to differ.  They must have small eaters in their family!

Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool.

I just adore these. Not just because they can be banged together in minutes but for the crunchy sweet goodness.  I think next time I will add a pinch of salt to create a salty caramel type.  How long since you had a Honey Joy? Give them a go! 

Ciao, Jan

2 comments :

  1. These were my favourite fete items growing up! So much better than chocolate crackles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorraine, I haven't had a chocolate crackle in years! They might have to come out of hibernation too, but maybe a grown up version with some nuts or something else thrown in.....now you've got me thinking!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...