discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Saturday 13 June 2015

Granny Stripe Blanket - Ta Dah!

I've been so excited to share this Ta-dah moment as if feels like it has taken me ages to finish.  I started it in early April and finished it a week ago, so 2 months, but that wasn't hooking everyday.  I made this blanket for some dear friends' birthday(they are a couple ;)  I giggled for a minute thinking you might thing 2 friends had to share custody!!) , whose deadline I did miss but only just :)  
This pattern is from Attic 24 blog.  Lucy also has an online shop at Wool Warehouse which is where I ordered all the yarn for this pattern in a bundle already made up.  
It has the right number of balls to go with the pattern - how genius is that relationship!!  I've ordered another bundle as I've had a few requests for the blanket and it will actually be enough for 3 blankets.  The yarn, although 100% acrylic, is a dream to crochet with and is a really great price.
The balls do come with sleeves but I was too hasty before I remembered to take photos ;)
Now this my hooking friends is genius.  I was scratching my head and worried about how I would ever remember what shade colour the yarn was....enter 
Mr. GW, such a thinker that man...so this is his idea to stick a little piece of yarn on the corresponding sleeve....now why didn't I think of that? Too worried to think clearly I think!!!
It's been almost a year to the day that I first tried my hand at crochet and I've been hooked ever since.  This is my 5th blanket I'm very proud to say.  This craft that has become my addictive hobby has seriously saved my sanity.  It gives me something tangeble to see at the end of most days when the couch is as far as I will be going.  Here are some photos....lots of photos :)
It's made with a foundation chain of 239.



I did change the border ever so slightly (moi? mess with a recipe or pattern!!) I did the last pink row in hdc (half double crochet US terms) instead of a sc (single crochet).   Boarders are my favourite part as I love seeing it all come together.  It is rolling up ever so slightly though, any tips from anyone would be appreciated!!

So there she is....now onto the next one, my fingers are itching to get started.

Ciao, Jan x

24 comments :

  1. You amaze me.......mine is still sitting on the couch and hasn't been touched since the end of January when it was too hot. I should have no excuses now its colder and every time I see another blanket from you I think "pick it up tonight and you'll be back into it". I think what's lovely about this craft is if you are sitting in front of the TV after your day has ended as least it's also productive. Very proud of your efforts.....congrats. Regards Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, go and pick up your hook and yarn and get to it!!! :) x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I've actually purchased 2 lots of the granny stripe wool pack as I wasn't sure if I would have enough to make a bigger blanket. How big did yours come out (single, double, queen etc)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam, it's probably a single wide but not as long as a single in length. 2 packs will be perfect - good luck with it.

      Delete
  3. How absolutely gorgeous and colourful it is Jan! Bright colours make me happy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I'm loving all the bright colours too x

      Delete
  4. That is just awesome Jan! You are inspiring me to try and back in to it. It doesn't come easily to me though. I would love to make a blanket like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definately give it a try Jem, if I can do it anyone can!! x

      Delete
  5. That looks beautiful! Good on you! I recently tried crocheting but didn't get much enjoyment out of it, I then tried knitting and I'm hooked! So I can imagine how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frances - great that you found a love in knitting :)

      Delete
  6. I didn't realise you could order the wool sets from Lucy - what a great idea cos I have a box full of ends here. The granny stripe is just gorgeous - my ends are still bloody poking out though even when I crochet them in as I go along. Not every single one but there's a few. I've given up worrying about them.
    I agree - it's totally addictive. It's a ridiculous thing to have to admit isn't it.
    Oh - does Lucy give you the colour order in the pattern too? It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy :) I don't think there is much you can do with the ends slightly sticking out Nancy - mine do too. Yep, Lucy gives you all the info - http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2015/03/my-granny-stripe-blanket.html I think she has 3 posts on the granny stripe - one is the start, one the ta-day post (on her right hand side bar) and this one. xxx

      Delete
  7. I love it, Jan! Great colors, of course, because that Lucy really knows her stuff! I love the border too - it gives your blanket a pretty, finished look. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, the border is lovely isn't it. You have a great week too x

      Delete
  8. What a color full blanket, and I like bright cheery colors. Haven't tried to do granny squares but at this time I'm getting ready to make a crochet rag rug. Plus working on Daisy our dogs rug also.
    I came over from Ronda
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a lucky dog Dora!! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. It is lovely, well done. I saw this on Attic24 and it is on my to do list, but I have others to finish first. I am self taught and began in January so I still get a bit confused about some things. When you did the edge I realize the corners require 2 clusters. Is there a ch-1 between them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I did 2 ch between them but I'm not 100% sure now!!! I'll make sure I do that on the next one :)

      Delete
  10. Good grief! How do you manage to keep count of 239 chain stitches? Reckon I'd go bonkers but ok once that was sorted. I'm a bit colour illiterate and would hope they supply a recommended sequence with the pattern. Might have to check them out. Acrylic so much more easy to manage for washing etc even though I love natural fibres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The swear jar was filled a few times trying to keep count let me tell you!!! The pattern/sequence isn't in the yarn bundle but it's on Attic24's blog :)

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! I started mine at the begining of the year and haven't finish it :( I'm making mine in beige and grey but not sure if I need to order more yarn for the border. How much yarn did you use in your border?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Isabel :) It's hard to say exactly how much I used for the border, maybe a 1/4 of a ball of each colour or a bit more - sorry I'm not much help!! Good luck finishing it - such a pretty pattern.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...