discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Wednesday 3 July 2013

Bloody fussy eaters

Don’t even get me started on adult fussy eaters who only eat meat and 3 veg and love Mc Donalds and KFC, their existence baffles me and how  the hell they manage to get through each day a complete mystery…But I’m talking about kids really as my brain can understand them being fussy eaters. Who knew that a pair of self-confessed lovers of food would produce a child that only likes bland, white food. I’m forever trying to hide vegies into our dishes so she won’t detect the zucchini or broccoli.

Actually I’m being too hard, she is improving and growing our own vegies is really helping. She loves going out helping Dad in the dirt planting and eating the pod peas and carrots with the dirt still on, but cook them and put them lovingly on a plate, forget it.  But I’m hopeful.

Many years ago I came up with a cunning plan to get vegies into her. You see she will eat pumpkin soup so I came up with this recipe packet full of goodness and a little home-grown pumpkin.  They are in season at the moment so cheap as chips.

Don’t tell them its not pumpkin soup pumpkin soup
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
1 or 2 carrots
1-2 stalks of celery
1 zucchini peeled
1 sweet potato
1 potato
¼ of a pumpkin
1 parsnip
1 tin of chickpeas
1 litre Water or vegie/chicken stock

Cut all vegies into cubes, around the same size. Put all into a pot and just cover with water or stock and bring to the boil. Reduce to simmer and skim off any skum that comes to the top. I don’t bother sautéing the onion or garlic when it comes to this kids version, they won’t know the difference or appreciate the extra effort. When all vegies are soft, cool slightly so you don’t burn yourself and blitz with a barmix wand or in a food processor. Hold back some of the liquid and change thickness as sometimes it thick and sometimes its thin. Dish it up with sour cream and chopped walnuts for the adults, add a toasted cheese sandwich and you can all be happy for different reasons. 

A gorgeous Queensland Blue from the garden
Ciao, Jan

4 comments :

  1. I hear you on the fussy eaters! One out of my four kids is particularly fussy and it does my head in!
    The pumpkin from your garden looks sensational!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same I can't give you some Jules they are beautiful!!

      Delete
  2. Yummo , Perfect Winter Warmer Jan! Room at your table for two more !;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...