discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Wednesday 17 July 2013

This not so glamorous life

Beautiful Kitchen, enjoy your meal!!
Given to my by a dear friend
and its sentiment rings true in my kitchen
I had someone ask me a few months ago what I do for a living….I hate this question for a few reasons.   It makes me feel less than, ashamed of the answer, making up excuses for this life I’m living. I am, apart from a casual shift here and there, a full time stay at home mum.  It has become full time due to illness but I don’t go around shouting this from the roof tops, although I will be now on my blog!!  

At the beginning I really struggled with it, fought it to be truthful, as I could find worth in a paid job and title. Who would be satisfied just staying at home, boring!!  I felt cold and sweating just thinking about how I would fill my days.  But it occurred to me the other day that something is changing in me. I am actually, after 7 months, dare I say it, enjoying it. I’m filling my day with school drop off and pick up where I get to talk to my only child about her day, no need to rush.  I cook, clean, read, walk the dog, spend time on the computer, rest without guilt and I’m feeling for the first time ever, content and happy with my lot, even though I am not running on all cylinders.

A mothers role has turned into such a sham, we all believe we have to be running around twisting ourselves in half to do it all, to have it all, and for what? For whose standard, society, the Jones – who the hell are they I’d like to know, they have a lot to answer for!!  When was the last time you just stopped…took a breath….and listened to yourself? Too scared of the answer? Why are we all chasing this happiness and never finding it? I think the answer is in slowing down, getting back to basics and connecting with our friends, families and homes.

I’ve been reading a lovely blog called down---to---earth by a lady called Rhonda. I stumbled across it a few months ago when I was in a panic about how I could learn to enjoy this simple life I needed due to a lack of finances.  What a find.  I don’t adhere to all she speaks of, I haven’t yet made my own laundry powder and I won’t probably ever knit a kitchen wash cloth, but her underlying message is about sustainable living in your home and garden which leads to contentment.  I  still have a long way to go on my journey and for the first time in a long time I’m excited.


Sorry, no recipe today but I’ll leave you with a picture of one of my favourite things…..

ciao, Jan

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...