discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Friday 11 October 2013

Sneaky all natural icy poles for the kids

I made these sneaky little suckers the other day, Rhubarb icy poles.  I did steal the recipe from my foodie crush Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.  They are delicious, easy and the kids will love them. I explained the ease that you can grow your own rhubarb here if you want to have a read about it, we have a wonderful supply most of the year.  My daughter was wrapt to come home from school and have one.  I told a white lie though, I said they were apple and honey cause if I'd said Rhubarb my darling heart wouldn't have touched them....what she doesn't know won't hurt her!!

Rhubarb Icy Poles
4-5 stalks of Rhubarb, cleaned and peeled ~ see the picture above, you want to get rid of any stringy bits
2 tbspns of honey
1/2 cup of brown sugar but caster sugar would do, or leave it out altogether.
1 cup or so of orange juice, freshly sqeezed if you can or bottled is fine
                           
Put it all in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, let it bubble away for 15 mins or until the Rhubarb is super tender.  Whizz in a blender and allow to cool slightly.  Pour into icy pole moulds and freeze.
You could use any fruit for these really, I've got some frozen blueberries that need using up for my next batch.  I'm going to omit the orange juice and add just a splash of water and boil them, blitz them and fold them through some natural yoghurt for our own homemade yoghurt ice creams.Yum!



These ones are for the grown ups, rhubarb gelati!!

Bring on summer!

Ciao, Jan


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...