discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Friday 30 August 2013

Bananas for bananas


Typographic Poster, Digital Print, Kitchen Wall Art, Wall Sign, orange, cream - 11x14 - Typography. $20.00, via Etsy.

Bananas. I remeber being one of the people paying over $20 a kilo for these babies after the terrible storms in Queensland a few years ago.  I've loved them since falling for the scent in a big M hoola hoop I won at the local show probably circa 1981, I'm not kidding! That heady scent stayed with me and once they became available more readily in the late 80's I don't think I've gone many a day without one.  I love them sliced on my cereal for breakfast, as a snack sliced on rice cakes with a smidge of  honey, banana smoothies, topped on to greek yoghurt with a sprinkle of nuts, on fruit toast but an old time fav has to be banana bread.  I struggle to keep my bananas til the skins are really dark and ripe as I eat them too quickly, but lucky for me my fruit monger often bags bundles of them up for a steal that are perfect for this recipe.

Banana bread
3 large ripe bananas
3 eggs
180gms melted butter
1 1/2 cups s.r.flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbspns honey
Preheat oven to 180c.  

Blend bananas and honey in a food processor, or use a fork and mash & mix well.  Sift flour into a large bowl and add sugar, and banana mixture. Using a hand beater or your elbow grease, add butter and mix in well, adding an egg at a time.  


Unload into a greased and lined loaf tin and bake for around 45 minutes.  Allow to cook slightly in tin and then place onto a wire rack to cool before you slice it up, don't be stingy, nice thick slices.  


My nan loves it with butter but I love it on its own or with a spread of thick greek yoghurt and walnuts its dreamy.

Ciao, Jan

2 comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...