discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Friday 6 September 2013

Indulgence


Love the big plank letters- pretty :)

Indulgence.....I have the word indulge pride of place in my kitchen for obvious reasons but I'm slowly coming to some conclusions....


I use to think that putting everyone else before me at the top of my list was what I should be doing.  I have come to realise that caring for myself is not self indulgence, it is a necessity. If we don't look after ourselves who will? They say if the woman of the home is happy then the others around them are too and I totally believe this.  


Baked Chocolate Pudding #chocolate #pudding #dessert

I've seen first hand how things can fall apart.  But start looking after yourself, exercising which ever way tickles your fancy but walking is free, easy and so good for you, eating well and taking time out to do some things that fills you up mentally can mend a weary soul.  When I went away on my solo adventure to do just this, I had some interesting reactions, mainly from woman. "Really, what will you do", "Is your husband letting you" "I'd love to do that" "Oh...." I felt with some people I had to lie, say I was meeting up with someone, I'm not sure why but I felt guilty.  When I returned I told the truth, was actually proud of what I'd done, and that I was 'allowed' to go.  My husband pushed me out the door to go. Lucky, well maybe but even when you are married its important to keep 'yourself', and I'd certainly lost my way.


For Jess and Syndea.......; P


Indulgence means different things to different people.  For some its clothes shopping, shopping for yet another pair of shoes, make up, handbags and filling their homes with more stuff.  Don't get me wrong I LOVE shoes and who doesn't need make up these days, well I know I need all the help I can get somedays! 



Lately too, I'm finding that ridding myself of some things in my life I do without pleasure so I can spend time with people who I love and doing things I love is underrated.  Ridding myself of clutter to be left with only the things that give me any value, its hard and a slow process but it feels great.  



For me I have a list of indulgences that make me happy and they are in no particular order:
  • having that time early in the morning, when the house is quiet and its just you and a coffee and maybe the internet.
  • going to the beach and feeling the sand in your toes and smelling the salty air.
  • grocery shopping preferably in a gourmet food store free to scour the aisles for new ideas. Preferably with a no limit credit card and I'd be in indulgence city.
  • having quiet time walking, cooking, working in the garden.
  • having time with good friends over food and a good bottle of wine with a few laughs thrown in.
  • cooking for people I love.
  • being with my family.




When was the last time you took some time out for yourself to indulge? 

You should JFDI. 


Ciao, Jan

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...