discovering a simpiler life

discovering a simpiler life

Thursday 12 September 2013

Tart Baked Rhubarb



 Rhubarb, its one of those things you either love or hate, and I love the stuff. I have a deep love for it in crumbles especially, paired up with some apples it is superb.  It is super easy to grow, you can propergate it by dividing an existing rhubarbs roots and planting it out in the cooler months when it is dormant. You will reep the benefits for years, over 10-15 years for one plant! You only need one plant if its just to satisfy yourself, any more and it will be wasted, unless you have friends a plenty.  I havested some this morning and tried a new recipe with it. Baked rhubarb.  A dear friend gave me a belated birthday pressie yesterday, bless her, and its one of my favourites, well my food hero really, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.  This is his take on the pinky red and sometimes green sour plant, which you might be surprised to know is a vegetable not a fruit.

Rhubarb

It couldn't be simpler really. Take around a kilo of Rhubarb stems, trim to around 5cm long, making sure to peel the woody strips off, and place in a baking tray along with the juice and zest of an orange and 4 tablespoons of honey. i didn't put that much honey, I love it still with that sour bite. Loosely wrap in foil and bake at 170c for 20 mins or so until tender.  I actually roasted half the orange and then squeezed the extra juice over the cooked rhubarb.

Some gloriously sweet Western Australian Honey



It will last beautifully for around a week in a sealed container with the juices in the fridge.  I'm having mine for breakfast with greek yoghurt.  You can always add a swizzle more of honey to it.  This baked rhubarb would also be great in muffins or a tart but I'm having it like this.


Just a word of warning about rhubarb, don't ever eat the leaves as they are poisonous, even if they do look like they would be great cooked!

I've got loads of new inspiration from my new cookbook, I can hardly wait! 

Ciao, Jan

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...